Google’s goal is to provide its users with the most relevant and CREDIBLE search results. It’s a private company that still is fighting to remain #1. So Google looks for “markers” to provide a roadmap for them to return honest, true and accurate information for them to provide those search results that you see in the “10 blue links.”
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO YOU?
- WIKIPEDIA AND WIKIDATA REIGN: Because this information is well-cited, curated and generally provided by a group of individuals, Google relies on it heavily.
- YOUR COMPANY IS NOT MENTIONED IN WIKIPEDIA? Of course, probably not, so then you have to provide other markers for Google to use and rely on.
- GOOGLE BUSINESS PROFILE (GBP): Here’s a “marker” that is immensely important. Think of it; it’s Google’s own document where you are asked to fill in the blanks.
- COMPLETE ALL OF YOUR GBP: It’s a robust platform that is full of useful information for Google:
- YOUR BUSINESS ADDRESS
- YOUR HOURS
- YOUR SERVICE AREA
- PICTURES OF YOUR BUSINESS THAT YOU CAN FURNISH
- STREET VIEW OF YOUR BUSINESS LOCATION (Note they provide that automatically based on your address and as further proof to a user that your business is for real and this is what your place of business looks like.)
- POSTS: You can list your latest information and update it at least weekly.
- PRODUCTS AND SERVICES: You can list the products and services you sell.
I’m sure you are getting a feel for how important GBP is. See how it all makes sense when you think like Google! Stay tuned for more!
Onward & Upward!
For more information: https://detroitseocompany.com/blog/seo-facts/8-to-marketing/