We’ve heard forever that more than 90% of prospects searching never search beyond the first page. Well, maybe that’s going to change as Google has implemented “Continuous Scrolling” on Desktop. What is it, and what does it mean to your business?
- CONTINUOUS SCROLLING DEFINED: This is an enhancement of the user experience where the next set of content (including ads) automatically loads each time the user reaches the “end” of a particular page.
- SIX PAGES LOAD: A user can look at 6 pages on Desktop before needing to click to the next page.
- LOWER RANKING SITES SHOULD BENEFIT: The user no longer needs to aim and then tap/click, so lower ranking sites should benefit from more traffic, but will that turn into more clicks?
- FIRST PAGE SITES MAY SUFFER: As searching becomes easier on desktop people may scroll right through the First Page, so if your site is on Page One, work hard to make it stand out.
- SITE MUST STAND OUT TO GET MORE CLICKS: Here’s how:
- Unique Headline For Your Store Or Business
- Ask A Question That Sells
- New and Exciting Words About Products
- Using Appropriate Schema, Such As FAQs
- Favicon, in a bright, warm color
- Thumbnail Snippets
- GOOGLE ADS (AdWords) BENEFIT: With Continuous Scrolling your ad will be seen more times, and Google making their Ads look more like Organic content, so they should get clicked on more often.
Continuous Scrolling was just implemented on Desktop on December 5, 2022, so there is still much to learn. It has been on Mobile since October 14, 2021, and apparently, with much success. At this time we recommend: reworking your Page Titles and Metas, as well as starting a Google Ads campaign. It is estimated in 3 years’ time 30% of all marketing spend will be on Google Ads. Continuous Scrolling benefits Google Ads exposure.
Onward & Upward!